By the People, For the People
WHO ARE WE? We are a 501(c)(3) public charity composed of more than 830 charitable funds begun by people just like you. Those funds, and the gifts that started them, bear the mark of many donors, not just a select few, which differentiates us from a private foundation.
In short, we’re the foundation by the people, for the people. Learn more about community foundations.
We are our community’s champion and generator of enduring philanthropy.
To identify, activate and support informed and passionate philanthropists who strive to improve the quality of life in our community.
We accomplish this by:
- Building a permanent source of charitable funding.
- Cultivating strategic relationships with diverse charitable individuals, professional advisors and community organizations.
- Inspiring new donors by capturing and sharing compelling examples of the positive impact of philanthropy in our community.
- Educating and connecting donors to nonprofit organizations whose needs match the donor’s interests.
- We celebrate the charitable dreams of our donors and enthusiastically connect them to the inspiring work of our nonprofit partners
- We serve the community and one another with energy and joy
- We set the highest standards of professionalism and strive to exceed the expectations of our donors, grantees and partners
- We are positive role models in the community
- We constantly seek opportunities for constructive feedback and counsel as a source for learning, improvement and growth
- The foundation belongs to our community, and we strive for trust, transparency and integrity in our work throughout Summit and Medina counties
- We hold ourselves and others accountable for behaviors, actions and results
- We believe diversity is a strength and respect the backgrounds, lifestyles, interests and lived experiences of our colleagues and constituents
- Listening to and embracing diverse visions will improve our quality of life, creating a community where all feel included, supported and valued
- We believe remaining inclusive requires continual evaluation and learning
- We value and invest in our community, helping it and its residents thrive and live safe, healthy and fulfilled lives
- We recognize the importance of finding a healthy balance between professional work and personal family experiences for those inside and outside our organization
- We constantly seek ways to bring together people, organizations and resources to inform our decision-making for the benefit of our community
- We embrace a common strategic vision and work together to invest in those programs and services that positively impact the lives of individuals and families in Summit and Medina counties
- We accomplish more collectively than we could ever achieve alone
Our StaffMeet Everyone
In 1955, a $1 million bequest from Edwin Shaw established Akron Community Trusts, now Akron Community Foundation – a place where charitable people from all walks of life join together to improve their community forever. Since that day, the community foundation has grown to nearly $278 million in assets and has distributed nearly $227 million in grants back into the community.