Women’s Endowment Fund Grants
In 2013, the Women’s Endowment Fund awarded grants totaling $95,000 to 11 greater Akron nonprofit organizations:
|Girls on the Run combines physical fitness with programming that improves girls' self-esteem.
- Building for Tomorrow, to raise awareness about maternal depression, and to provide education and support to mothers in Akron Metropolitan Housing Authority neighborhoods, $10,000
- Children’s Hospital Medical Center of Akron, to support Respect, a teen dating violence and sexual assault prevention program, $5,000
- Community Legal Aid Services Inc., for the HEAL Program at Summa Women’s Health Center, which helps patients address non-medical barriers to health, including economic instability, insecure housing, threats to physical safety, and poor access to education, $10,000
- Girls on the Run of Greater Summit, Jewish Community Center of Akron, to mentor girls in high-poverty neighborhoods through a program that combines fitness training with discussions about personal values, respect and self-worth, $5,000
- H.M. Life Opportunity Services, to support the Mobile Moms program, which provides used cars to women transitioning out of homelessness, $20,000
- Kent State University Foundation, for Sisters United Now, which teaches African-American girls in the Project GRAD Akron program healthy coping strategies for dealing with stress and anxiety, $13,900
- Mental Health America of Summit County Inc., for mental health and stress management workshops for adolescent girls living in AMHA neighborhoods, $6,000
- Mustard Seed Development Center, for a financial counseling and case management program that helps Summit County women secure stable housing, rebuild their credit and get out of debt, $5,100
- Opportunity Parish Ecumenical Neighborhood Ministry, for Diamond Ladies, a mentoring program for adolescent girls that focuses on career exploration, community service and healthy behaviors, $4,000
- Project GRAD Akron, for a college readiness summer program at Buchtel High School that teaches girls about healthy relationships, positive decision-making, nutrition and goal setting, $6,000
- Victim Assistance Program, to prevent recurring violence against women by helping victims navigate the judicial system and file protection orders, $10,000
See a list of the previous year's Women's Endowment Fund grants.