MCWEF President's Letter: A focus on others
About this time of year, you are bound to run into a news story proclaiming the oft-cited statistic: nearly 80% of New Year’s resolutions fail by the second week in February. Are you among this 80% or are you staying focused in this first year of the new decade? Whatever your circumstance, I think we could all agree that the surest way to a feeling of contentment and happiness is to focus on others rather than ourselves.
Clearly, by being a supporter of the Medina County Women’s Endowment Fund, you are doing just that! All the members of our advisory board join me in extending our heartfelt thanks for the many ways each of you has contributed to the well-being of the women and children in our county. And, as we enter this new decade, your MCWEF advisory board remains as committed as ever to our mission:
- To provide grant funding to organizations and programs in the Medina County area that support women and children.
- To serve as a catalyst for needed projects.
- To assist women in their growth as philanthropists.
Here are some ways you can continue to help us:
- Encourage area nonprofits to apply for one of our 2020 grants. Our online application is available through the month of February at www.akroncf.org/applyMCWEF. We will offer an impact grant of up to $10,000 to a Medina County organization whose efforts improve the educational, physical, emotional, social, artistic, and/or personal growth of women and children in Medina County. This year, our fund is proud to be on track to surpass $200,000 in overall grantmaking to deserving nonprofits in Medina County.
- Attend our third annual Seasons of Giving event on Thursday, June 11 at Blue Heron Event Center. During the event we will announce our 2020 grant recipients and celebrate philanthropy in our community. This year’s event speaker and emcee will undoubtedly inspire us in our journey as philanthropists. Sponsorship opportunities for Seasons of Giving are now available at www.akroncf.org/SeasonsofGiving.
- Give to our fund. Visit www.akroncf.org/give/MCWEF for more information about the various ways you can donate to MCWEF. You can also become a member of our Legacy Tree of Giving with a gift of just $1,000 annually. Our Legacy Tree of Giving members receive a variety of benefits and recognitions. For more information about our Legacy Tree of Giving, visit www.akroncf.org/MCWEFLTOG.
It is only through your ongoing generosity that we can continue to serve those in need in our county. Celebrate this new year and new decade with a commitment to focusing on others!
Ellen Hunter, president
Medina County Women’s Endowment Fund