Press Release Tips
When you start a fund at Akron Community Foundation, don’t keep the good news to yourself.
Share the news with your staff, your supporters and local media outlets so the community can join in your celebration. The best way to tell the media about your Akron Community Foundation fund is through a press release. If you have never written a press release, don’t worry: We’ve created a sample press release for you to edit, or, you may wish to create your own release using the following tips:
- All releases should be typed and double-spaced on your organization's letterhead. Identify your organization using its legal name and its popular name.
- Place "For Immediate Release," the date, and the name and daytime phone number of a contact person at the top of your release. Make sure that person is available to answer questions the day the release is issued.
- News releases should be short and no more than one or two pages in length.
- All critical information should be included in the first paragraph: Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? End the news release with a paragraph describing Akron Community Foundation. The following is our suggested boilerplate:
About Akron Community Foundation
Celebrating 62 years of building community philanthropy, Akron Community Foundation embraces and enhances the work of charitable people who make a permanent commitment to the good of the community. In 1955, a $1 million bequest from the estate of Edwin Shaw established the community foundation. As of Dec. 31, 2016, it is a philanthropic endowment of nearly $196 million with a growing family of 560 funds established by charitable people and organizations from all walks of life. The community foundation and its funds welcome gifts of all kinds, including cash, bequests, stock, real estate, life insurance and retirement assets, just to name a few. To date, the community foundation’s funds have awarded nearly $138 million in grants to qualified nonprofit organizations. For more information about Akron Community Foundation or to learn more about creating your own charitable fund, call 330-376-8522 or visit www.akroncf.org.
- Prior to distributing it, please email the press release to Tina Boyes, vice president of marketing and communications. If the document contains any errors, she will make the necessary corrections and offer suggestions for making it the best release possible.
- Email or fax your approved press release to the appropriate person:
- Akron Beacon Journal: City Editor, Cheryl Powell, firstname.lastname@example.org or the reporter(s) who focuses on your subject matter (go to www.ohio.com/about and select “Newsroom staff” to see a full list of reporters)
- Weekly/neighborhood newspapers: Editor
- Other publications: Editor of newsletters in your field, state/national associations
- Radio stations: News editor
- TV stations: Assignment editor
- Mail or email copies of any publicity you receive to Tracy Burt, director of marketing, at 345 W. Cedar St., Akron, OH 44307.